Sunday, May 17, 2009

Spot Landing

I was flying a Gentle Lady on Sunday. My daughter built it about twenty years ago. It is a veteran of many encounters with the earth and other objects. Once the bungee line caught on a Skywalker being flown by Andre, (may he rest in peace). The point is, this aircraft knows how to fly. It has forgotten more about the art than I'll ever know.

It was quite windy and as I was circling in some dodgy lift I lost sight of the aircraft. I though I would see it again after it had turned 180 degrees: but no, nothing visible. A few minutes later I heard the dread sound of an aircraft hitting something solid. 

I made a search of the surrounding area. After twenty minutes or so I called it a day and walked back towards the pits. At that point Howard called out asking me if I had lost an aeroplane. I replied yes, to which he suggested that I look on the clubhouse roof. 

I've always found Howard's suggestions useful and this one was no exception. There, on the roof was the Gentle Lady. It had landed, on it's own, perfectly, and without damage.



No comments: